Remember the last post about our longest stay home? Well this post could be called the shortest stay home. Wednesday during dinner Luke was being his funny little self. I was laughing so hard at him teasing Isaac. Less than 2 minutes later Luke got goosebumps all over his body and started shaking like crazy and clinging to me saying owie owie. He acted like he had a hard time catching his breath. I checked his temp and he had a fever of 101. Lukie continued to act funny after about 5 minutes and I checked his temp again, his time his fever was 103.5. Not good! Especially since he is still on IV antibiotics from his last blood infection that started exactly 2 weeks before (even the exact same time, kind of weird). I took him to the after hours doctor. To tell you the truth I think he kind of blew me off and thought I was crazy thinking he had a line infection while still on antibiotics. Remember when Lukie was little and the on call doctor did not look at Lukie's medical history and gave him a shot of rocefin for an ear infection which resulted in liver problems, ya this was the same guy! I requested to go the the hospital for blood work and cultures, and they sent me home to wait for the regular lab results. At 11:00 at night the dr called and said labs didn't look too bad, somethings were a little elevated more than he would like but we could stay home and do our own antibiotics and follow up with our regular doc in the morning. I finished Lukie's meds and went to bed around midnight. Lukie always sleeps with us so I can keep a close eye on him. At 12:30 Lukie stats breathing very heavy, 1:00 chills all over his body crying owie owie clinging to me having a hard time catching his breath. Luke continues to be fussy and uncomfortable, we debated about taking him straight to the hospital but don't know what to do with the older boys. About 2:30 while rocking him in the rocking chair poor little Lukie acts like he can't control his body, he is very scared , something is REALLY bad going on in his sweet little body, he lets out a blood curling scream and goes into convulsions (probably due to the fever of 104.7 at this point). I scream and Mike comes running. I have not been that scared in my life, I can't even explain what happened. We knew he needed to get to the hospital fast but don't dare drive him an hour drive to the children's hospital (the on call doc suggested if this got worse on go to (PCMC). Mike called 911 and an ambulace to transport us. His heart rate was 215 (his normal rate is around 120), temp 104.7, very shaky and had a hard time catching a breath. While in the ambulance the on call doc called me to inform me the cultures had already grown bacteria and was afraid the infection was pretty sevier. I told him what had happened and he felt very bad. Anyway here we still sit at PCMC waiting to see if we can save Lukie's central line. We are not sure what the bug is yet but it is a gram - which comes on very suddenly and can be very scary. Lukie is now stable, his fever is gone and pulse is in the normal range. Poor little guy is scared to death to be here. I hope things will clear up soon. Thanks for all of the prayers and keep them coming. We love you all!



getting some fresh air outside

Lukie loves taking the baby for a walk
18 comments:
how scary! morgan had her 1st febrel seizure when she was 20 months old. that was her 1st ambulance ride. i'm so glad that lukie is stable & looking pretty chipper. hope they can save his central line. love you guys.
Lukie is so lucky to have such wonderful and attentive parents! You really look after your little guy!
I realize doctors have to deal with people all the time and some people are a real pain in the behind. But they need to LISTEN TO PARENTS! Seriously!
You absolutely did the right thing by calling the ambulance. What a scary night! Keep hanging in there, I wish we lived closer so we could help!
So scary! Our thoughts and prayers are with you!
Mike Fullmer
Lukie came home today at 5:00pm. Since then he has watched Toy Story 1 twice and Toy Story 2 once. First thing he asked for when he got home. Cuddling him during the movies.... Priceless
August 23 at 9:20pm
April Dawn Davidson Oh, must be wonderful to have him home!
August 23 at 9:20pm
Janene Kingsley Beautiful!
August 23 at 10:31pm
Rachel Gonzales Fullmer Awesome!!!!
August 23 at 11:26pm
Barb Alleman What a little "cuddle bug". Sooo glad he's home!! Huggins!!
August 23 at 11:55pm
Monica Vasquez aww im glad he is alright!
August 24 at 12:51pm
Mike Fullmer
One happy Dad... Dr. Just came in and Lukie now has a negative culture from his line!!! Awesome news, praying it stays that way and his life line will be saved. Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers.
August 22 at 1:30pm via iPhone ·
Amanda Palmer Carter Very great news :)
August 22 at 1:48pm
April Dawn Davidson Just wonderful! Lukie is an incredible kid!
August 22 at 1:55pm
LuAnn Fullmer Schroeder Oh YIPPEE!!! Then maybe you guys can get home with your little family!!! :)
August 22 at 3:14pm · Like
Kevin Gwynn That is great news! My thoughts are with you and your family, Mike.
August 22 at 7:43pm
Erin Sykes-Herring like like like triple like:)
August 23 at 7:50am
Lorna Glasgow Hansmann What Erin said =c)
August 23 at 9:30am
Picture of Lukie and Mom in hospital bed asleep.
Lorna Glasgow Hansmann Completely adorable!
August 19 at 2:30pm · Like
Susanne Casto Hodge Sooooooooo precious
August 19 at 2:57pm
Juli Williams This makes me cry!! I've been there before and the only way you can sleep like that is if your soul and body are so worn out you have nothing left. You're amazing Allison!
August 19 at 3:20pm
LuAnn Fullmer Schroeder Very good! That's what they both need!
August 19 at 5:08pm
Mike Fullmer
A little scared.... Lukie has another fever and is not acting like himself. Hopefully it's not much of anything, as he is still on an IV antibiotic for his last blood infection 2 weeks ago today.
August 18 at 6:03pm
Rachel Gonzales Fullmer Hopefully. Keep us posted.
August 18 at 6:09pm
Erin Sykes-Herring sorry:( we'll keep him in our prayers.
August 18 at 7:06pm
Cindy Barney Gramse so sad...poor little guy, and tough on the parents too. God bless you all.
August 18 at 7:51pm
Lorna Glasgow Hansmann Told Allison to send the boys here if you need to. I don't mind at all. I will add him to my prayers tonight. What a brave kid.....and parents too.
August 18 at 10:02pm
Krissly Carter I'm so sorry. LMK if you guys need anything
August 18 at 10:48pm
Mike Fullmer Update, Called 911 last night after he had a seizure and high fever, and then was taken by ambulance to PCMC. He has a fever that goes from 101.5 to as high as 104.7. He has a nasty blood infection (Grand B-). Thanks for the prayers.
August 19 at 6:01am
LuAnn Fullmer Schroeder Those crazy high fevers cause seizures most of the time....it is so scary to watch your child go through one....hopefully PCMC can get his fever down and he can feel better...when you get a chance, keep us posted...we love you guys!
August 19 at 6:48am
Allison Dinsdale Fullmer It was a scary night. Had a hard time breathing, and pulse of 215! I've never been so scared to see him that way.
August 19 at 11:27am
Monica Vasquez uh oh we will be sure to keep him in our prayers!
August 19 at 12:45pm
Jessica Smith Holdaway :Allison thanks a lot, you made me cry a little! give that sweet boy a big hug from me please!
Ann Broderick Henry Wow. So scary. I'm sorry. Keep in touch with me. I can take Kaleb and Isaac to soccer practice with me on Monday. Jayden can come and play with Parker and help me. Let me know.
August 20 at 5:22pm
Julie Karren Harris thanks for keeping us posted. What a sweetie. Our prayers are with you all.
August 20 at 5:29pm
Greg Moser wow, that must have been scary. hope he's getting better - you are in our thoughts and prayers. please don't hesitate to call us.
August 20 at 10:37pm
Cherina Stokes McFadden Allison next time you are not sure what to do with the boys CALL ME!!! I don't care what time it is.
August 21 at 11:49am
Allison Dinsdale Fullmer
I miss my boys and my bed.... It breaks my heart to hear Lukie say dada I need you, Izy I need you, grandma I need you!
August 19 at 9:58pm via iPhone ·
LuAnn Fullmer Schroeder Oh shoot! How is he feeling?
August 19 at 10:05pm
Lorna Glasgow Hansmann Love that little man! More prayers coming your way.
August 19 at 10:28pm
Micah Richards Take care!
August 19 at 11:03pm
Jessica Smith Holdaway Is he doing any better? what did the doctors say about how he's doing and when he can come home? Did they pull the line? Prayers are with you hun!!!
August 20 at 9:04am
Michelle Williams Poor baby, hope he is getting better quick!
August 20 at 11:45am
Allison Dinsdale Fullmer I did a blog post, we still don't have a lot of answers. Jessica I miss UVRMC:(
August 20 at 5:08pm
Michelle Williams It sounded so scary Allison!! Hope they get it figured out soon!!! Hope they figure out what he has, gets him the right med, and get him home!!
August 20 at 6:34pm
Sonia Frost Stay strong x
August 19 at 3:17am
LuAnn Fullmer Schroeder We love you guys!
August 19 at 6:43am
Jodee Reid Thinking of you!
August 19 at 6:50am
Janene Kingsley I love that baby boy. Oh, I'm praying!
August 19 at 7:23am
Marsha Gillespie Praying for you guys? Do you know anything yet?
August 19 at 7:51am
Cherina Stokes McFadden We are thinking about him and praying for him.
August 19 at 8:05am
Michelle Bott Young Oh my gosh, keep us posted. We're praying for you
August 19 at 8:15am
Heidi Close Kaouk I will be praying for him, hope everything is OK. Keep us posted.
August 19 at 8:41am
Lorna Glasgow Hansmann Prayed for him last night and will continue to do so even with him being stable now.
August 19 at 11:53am
Allison Dinsdale Fullmer
Luke has an infection called Klebsiella. It hit fast and it hit hard. Prayering for clean cultures soon! Crossing my fingers he can keep his line:)
August 21, 2010 at 8:31am
Carissa Haston wow, that is a TOUGH one. I had that one in my line several times and was on so many IV antibiotics to fight it for a long time.
August 21, 2010 at 8:39am
Carissa Haston Praying he feels better soon and can keep the line too!
August 21, 2010 at 8:40am
Michelle Williams High hopes that antibiotics work!!!!! No new line for liittle Lukie!!!
August 21, 2010 at 8:49am
Sheila Clausen DeKold Prayed. Need to keep the Life Line.
August 21, 2010 at 9:24am
Jodee Reid We've fought Klebsiella too - prayers from us.
August 21, 2010 at 9:37am
Deb Millard ugh, yup remember that one.
August 21, 2010 at 10:22am
Donna Noble Hope he is feeling better soon!!! We were able to save Kyle's line when he grew that several times
August 21, 2010 at 10:56am
LuAnn Fullmer Schroeder We're crossing fingers and toes (and anything else ) that Lukie doesn't need a new line!!! :)
August 21, 2010 at 11:31am
Allison Kidd Allison - I cried when I read your blog post about the onset of the infection - change the names, the genders and a few of the numbers (B's HR went over 250, her temp was 107 and she was satting in the 60s), and you were talking about the day we almost lost B in May. Gram -ve hit fast and hard. I won't share what I would like to do to the doc who brushed you off - we had one of those ("there is no way she is septic, her white count is normal") but I am SO glad he is responding to treatment.
When B got sick in May, it was a bacterial translocation from her gut - pseudomonas and e coli.
August 21, 2010 at 4:00pm
Allison Dinsdale Fullmer Thanks for everyone's concern and prayers for Lukie, here is the story of what happened
August 20, 2010 at 5:13pm
Ann Broderick Henry Wow. So scary. I'm sorry. Keep in touch with me. I can take Kaleb and Isaac to soccer practice with me on Monday. Jayden can come and play with Parker and help me. Let me know.
August 20, 2010 at 5:22pm
Julie Karren Harris thanks for keeping us posted. What a sweetie. Our prayers are with you all.
August 20, 2010 at 5:29pm
Greg Moser wow, that must have been scary. hope he's getting better - you are in our thoughts and prayers. please don't hesitate to call us.
August 20, 2010 at 10:37pm
Cherina Stokes McFadden Allison next time you are not sure what to do with the boys CALL ME!!! I don't care what time it is.
August 21, 2010 at 11:49am
Lauren Coon I'm so glad to hear this! Glad he is at least stable now! I hope you are able to get a little rest today at least.
August 19, 2010 at 8:47am
Jessica Smith Holdaway ug glad I didn't read last night I wouldn't have been able to sleep! It makes me feel so queasy! Poor guy! Huge hugs to you both!
August 19, 2010 at 8:50am
LuAnn Fullmer Schroeder Oh sweet little boy! How scary for you guys.....we are glad he is stable...you guys will remain in our prayers.....
August 19, 2010 at 8:50am
Krissly Carter I'm glad he is stable. Please let me know if you need me to do anything. We'll continue to keep you guys in our prayers.
August 19, 2010 at 8:51am
Erin Sykes-Herring oh i'm so glad that he is stable! love you allison. you are a great mama to those sweet boys.
August 19, 2010 at 8:52am
Allison Kidd Thanks for the update - this sounds terribly like Brigid's close call in May - my heart has been in my throat.
Try to get yourself something to eat - you know as well as I this is a long road and it is easy to forget to take care of "me"
August 19, 2010 at 8:56am
Michelle Williams So glad to hear that Alllison!!!!
August 19, 2010 at 9:12am
JoEllen Palmer great news!!!!!
August 19, 2010 at 9:29am
Rachel Gonzales Fullmer good news!!!
August 19, 2010 at 10:01am
Pauline Albonico Kummer Addie is glad her friend is better. Let me know what you need from here.
August 19, 2010 at 10:02am
Haley Twitchell Poor little guy. I hope things get better very quickly!!
August 19, 2010 at 10:11am
Amelia Torgersen Praying for you guys.
August 19, 2010 at 10:21am
Lorna Glasgow Hansmann What a relief! Hope things continue to get better. Love you!
August 19, 2010 at 11:51am
Vicki Erickson Sisson Oh, I'm glad I saw this! I'll put his name in at the Temple this afternoon .. . our prayers are with you and little Luke.
August 19, 2010 at 2:47pm
Renee Dingman Goodman oh Allison, I'm sorry. We'll keep you all in our prayers
August 19, 2010 at 4:12pm
Lukie is very sick. On our way to PCMC
Allison Kidd Tears and prayers coming from up here...
August 19, 2010 at 5:09am
Michelle Williams Im so sorry Allison lots and lots of prayers and love for Lukie!!!!
August 19, 2010 at 5:30am
Vanessa Smith Our prayers are with you.
August 19, 2010 at 6:03am
Lauren Coon We will be praying for him! I hope they are able to stabalize him once you get there. Poor little man.
August 19, 2010 at 6:49am
April Lunceford Balandran We will pray for him and your family. We hope he is better soon.
August 19, 2010 at 7:07am
Erin Sykes-Herring you are in our prayers lukie & family. love you guys.
August 19, 2010 at 7:11am
Rachel Gonzales Fullmer Poor Lukie. We'll continue to include him in our prayers and hope for his quick recovery. Please keep us posted.
August 19, 2010 at 8:10am
Emily Chidester Hoopes Oh no! I'm so sorry! It's so scary to grow a bug THROUGH antibiotics! Fortunately, you're in the very best of hands at PCMC.
Let us know if we can do anything to help. We live 30 minutes from the hospital, just off west side 215. If you need to get out, take a shower, take a nap, know you're welcome.
p.s. When they make you fill out the little computer survey, make sure you ask for child life. They'll make your stay LOTS better! And don't forget that if he loses his line, you can request all pokes be done in the treatment room so his own room and bed stay safe.
August 19, 2010 at 8:14am
Jessica Smith Holdaway oh allison! Darn darn... I will be praying, please keep us updated!
August 19, 2010 at 8:44am
Allison Dinsdale Fullmer
I'm scared to death Lukie is VERY sick. Ambulance is on the way. Please keep him in your prayers. On our way to PCMC:(
August 19, 2010 at 2:37am via
Sonia Frost Stay strong x
August 19, 2010 at 3:17am
LuAnn Fullmer Schroeder We love you guys!
August 19, 2010 at 6:43am
Jodee Reid Thinking of you!
August 19, 2010 at 6:50am
Janene Kingsley I love that baby boy. Oh, I'm praying!
August 19, 2010 at 7:23am
Marsha Gillespie Praying for you guys? Do you know anything yet?
August 19, 2010 at 7:51am
Cherina Stokes McFadden We are thinking about him and praying for him.
August 19, 2010 at 8:05am
Michelle Bott Young Oh my gosh, keep us posted. We're praying for you
August 19, 2010 at 8:15am
Heidi Close Kaouk I will be praying for him, hope everything is OK. Keep us posted.
August 19, 2010 at 8:41am
Lorna Glasgow Hansmann Prayed for him last night and will continue to do so even with him being stable now.
August 19, 2010 at 11:53am
Andrea Pack Ahyou I'm so sorry to hear about little Lukie, we all hope he gets better soon! He'll be in our prayers!
August 18, 2010 at 7:50pm
Michelle Williams Dont tell me hes running another fever? Hope he is okay!
August 18, 2010 at 8:40pm
Allison Dinsdale Fullmer Yep fever of 103.5. Acting the same as the last infection:(. Strange this is he is still on IV antibiotics. Waiting for labs to see what blood work looks like. If it looks like a line infection they will send us to the Children's hospital. I really don't want to go there:(
August 18, 2010 at 9:57pm
Lorna Glasgow Hansmann Sadness=c(
You can send the boys my way if you need to!
August 18, 2010 at 9:59pm
Lauren Coon Riley had that happen once with Enterococcus Faecalis. It didn't respond to vanco but supposedly wasn't VRE(?) and she was still on Zyvox and all of a sudden got a temp after 5 or 6'ish days of neg. cx. Sure enough it was back... That's the only infection we ever lost a line to. I so hope he just has a virus, LOL Don't u love it when everyone says that :)
August 18, 2010 at 10:37pm
Allison Dinsdale Fullmer Things got worse:(. Pretty nasty blood infection.
August 19, 2010 at 5:19am
Post a Comment