On Valentines Day Lukie was very fatigued and vomiting more than this normal. The next couple of days he got worse. He was so sick Friday night that he vomited every 20-30 minutes. I took him to the on call pediatrician Saturday morning. I was very disappointed to find out Dr. Jensen was the on call doc for the weekend. He has made really bad choices in Luke's care 2 other times in the past. Dr. J once again blew us off saying Luke was fine. He said Luke simply had an ear infection and strep throat. Once we started him on antibiotics he would stop throwing up so much and he didn't need to go to the hospital. I beg him to let me do replacement IV fluid at home, and he finally said that that would be ok. So he set us up to do a Bolus of fluid at home that evening. Saturday night Lukie got even worse:( Poor little guy threw up every 7-12 minutes. He vomited so much there was blood in his vomit and ostomy bag. He also had a fever. I called Dr. J and said I wanted to be admitted to the hospital. He said he wanted to see Luke but probably won't need to admit him. So I decided to drive to the ER instead.
The ER doc did just what I wanted. Abdominal x-ray, lab work, cultures, and a bolus IV fluid. When the doc say the x-ray he called the surgeon and said "He is going to be admitted, he has an obstruction". If he knew Lukie at all he would know that Lukie ALWAYS has an obstruction! Dr Downy came in for a consult, he knows Lukie's bowel and confirmed that Luke is sick and does NOT need surgery. The doctors thought that Lukie might have Pancreatitis because of high Lipase levels. But it was just because he was so sick. Through testing we learned Lukie had parainfluenza 3, influenza B, along with strep and an ear infection. For a while they also thought he had a blood infection because the periphial blood draw came back as growing gram B-, but luckily it ended up just being a contaminate. So the lesson is don't always trust the on call doctor, Lukie ended up in the hospital Sunday through Tuesday Evening. He is now happy at home and finally feeling better!

Lukie's throne he made to watch his movies on:)
Teddy bear and balloon from his friends at Habitat for Humanity:)
1 comment:
I'm glad he's feeling better!
Post a Comment