A couple weeks ago while chaning Lukie's broviac dressing I noticed that once was a scab on his insertion site looked more like the cuff that keeps his broviac (CVL) in place was beginning to show through his skin. We had a GI appointment the next day. They agreed it looked like the cuff and had someone from the surgery office to come look at it. They said if the line worked okay they would leave it how it was, if it came out more or didn't give us blood return to call our surgeon. On Monday after school I noticed Lukie was itching his dressing. While I was cleaning up dinner he came up to me and said "mom something happened". He lifted up his shirt and I saw his CVL hanging out, completely pulled out of his chest.:( I'm felling is that he picked at the cuff at the insertion site and it fell out. Lukie's broviac is his lifeline. Mike and I were devastated. There are only six main veins that can be used for a CVL, every CVL is precious and we are very protected of. With out his CVL and TPN Luke would starve to death very quickly. So I quickly packed our hospital bag and headed to the ER.
We stayed the night where Luke received IV fluid to keep him hydrated and had surgery on 11-12-13 for a new CVL. Everything went well in surgery, he is now the proud owner of a new 4 french broviac in his right subclavian vein. Luke is such a sweet heart, he is the bravest kid I know, he always has a smile on his face. He never complained, he was very calm and mature even with all the hospital craziness. Happy to be home again after our 24 hour stay!
This is the first time Lukie has drawn a person. He is the orange one (see all of the tubes and accessories on his tummy) and the green one is a crab
Always Happy!
After surgery and very drugged
1 comment:
Poor little guy!
Post a Comment