Saturday, June 26, 2010

Swimming Fun!!!!

Today we took the boys swimming at the Scera Pool in Orem. We were excited to get wet with Lukie. We put Aquaguard (plastic shield) over his broviac, and wrapped his chest, GJ tube, and ostomy in Glad press and seal wrap. He wasn't happy with this but once we side tracked him with water he forgot all about it and had a blast. He was still worried about the pool, but we all played and Lukie got wetter than ever before. He still can't submerge his chest in water, and he is too scared any way. His broviac stayed dry, we only needed to change an ostomy bag. It was a good time. We are really enjoying going and doing some "normal" family things together.

4 comments:

The Crandall Clan said...

Awwwww Super cute! I LOVE that second to last picture. So cute! :)

Alyse said...

Cute swimming suit Allison, can you tell me where you got it? I always have a hard time finding cute/modest suits and I really like that style!

Allison said...

Allison Dinsdale Fullmer
Lukie's first time going to the pool. He had a blast!!
June 26, 2010 at 3:17pm

Allison Kidd The splash pad is the one place that Briigd cannot go when we take her to Storybook Gardens... do you have any bright ideas about what I can use instead of Aquaquard... she would have SUCH fun!!
June 26, 2010 at 3:24pm

LuAnn Fullmer Schroeder fun! You both have great expressions! LOL
June 26, 2010 at 3:25pm

Emily Chidester Hoopes Allison - Nurses at the hospital have made their own "aquaguard" for baths when the real stuff is in short supply. Just some Glad Press n' Seal cut to fit and then taped throughly around the edges with a waterproof tape. They used the clear tape that IV's are taped down with.

Taking the tape back off was pretty uncomfortable, though, so it might be worth looking for something a little more skin friendly. Just needs to be waterproof with an adhesive that holds if it gets wet.
June 26, 2010 at 4:34pm

Allison Kidd Thanks, Emily - I think I am going to throw caution to the wind and give it a try. Brigid loves the water, and I have been trying SO hard to find the right combination. We only get one tegaderm per week for Brigid's dressing change, so wh...
See More
June 26, 2010 at 5:49pm

Emily Chidester Hoopes Good luck! We've been able to keep the tegaderms dry enough not to have to change them. (Just a bit damp on the edges sometimes.)
June 26, 2010 at 7:55pm

Allison Dinsdale Fullmer Allison I have an extra pack of aquagaurd I would be happy to send you if you want me to. I also have extra tegaderm because Luke uses IV 3000 instead. Let me know if you want any, and you can send me a message with a mailing address. But I think press and seal wrap works great especially if Brigid has an ostomy bag.
June 26, 2010 at 9:41pm

Jessie Lynn Smith Every time I try any of those with David he still gets his dressing soaked. Unlike Lukie, he is not the least bit afraid of the water and loves to splash and I think because he is so small still it's really difficult to get a good seal arou...
See More
June 26, 2010 at 10:40pm

LuAnn Fullmer Schroeder You are all amazing families!!!! I'm glad you are finding ways to get some 'normal' activities in the kids lives......and networking with each other....inspiring
June 26, 2010 at 11:32pm

Allison Kidd Thanks, LuAnn - that's humbling. Having children with our particular challenges can sure be isolating, but having networking tools like FB and a few specific online groups certainly makes it less so... I guess the 'net is not just for online shopping any more ;o)
June 27, 2010 at 5:36am

Juli Williams That looks so fun! You are amazing Allison!
June 27, 2010 at 9:13am · Like
Rachel Gonzales Fullmer THAT's Lukie!!!!!!
June 27, 2010 at 4:19pm

Erin Sykes-Herring ohmigosh! i love your new profile picture! that is one that needs to be blown up in a frame:)! so cute! so glad you guys had so much fun! you are all great! love ya!
June 30, 2010 at 9:41am

Allison said...

Erin Sykes-Herring good luck! and have fun:)!
June 26, 2010 at 7:43am

Jodee Reid The joys of IV lines - worth the effort though.
June 26, 2010 at 8:44am

Allison Kidd I wish we could get Aquaguard for her... Nana and Poppa have a pool, and the only option we have found for Brigid that we can afford is not available small enough for her. The coffee can with the dry suit savings fund continues...

Have a super time at the pool :)
June 26, 2010 at 8:51am

Emily Chidester Hoopes We did that a couple days ago and it worked great! Aquaguard as the base and we went all the way around his body with the press n seal. We didn't let him submerge his chest, but he didn't want to, anyway.
June 26, 2010 at 10:11am