Monday, February 23, 2009
Our "psuedo" appiontment!
Today Lucas had an appointment at PCMC with his GI docs. While waiting in the waiting room for 2 hours a teenage boy recognized my good old TPN back pack on my back. His mom asked what was wrong with Lucas and I told her Chronic Intestinal Pseudo Obstruction thinking's she would give me the weird look everyone gives me when they hear his diagnosis. But to my surprise she said her son has the same thing! PCMC doesn't get very many pseudo obstructions and so the doctors had told them about us when we went to Pittsburgh. For the sake of the family I will not say a lot about what the teenager has gone through but his name is Sheldon and he is 18 years old, and from the outside looks like the typical healthy teenager. He can eat food but says he can never drink soda pop. Every pseudo obstruction patient is different and I have never heard of anyone having as many complications as Lucas so early on in life. But we were excited to finally met someone with pseudo obstruction and ask questions. It was encouraging seeing someone like Lucas who was able to play soccer and basketball and is now 18 and going to college. He showed us his central line which is a port instead of a bivouac, it is surgically placed and is able to get wet to go swimming and to shower with. This is something Lukie could get when he is older.
Lukie now weigh 10 lbs 7 oz and 23 1/2 inches long. They are not happy with his growth but they are happy with some of his other improvements. His billi rubin 3 weeks ago was 8.6 and has dropped to 4.6! That is awesome! This has been our longest stay home with nothing scheduled yet. His blood is a little low and may need another transfusion in the future. Even though crazy busy things happen on almost a daily basis we are home and loving every minute!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Oh Allison, that's so great! He's home & you're darn right your busy & loving every minute! So glad you were able to meet & talk with someone that has the same thing(in as many ways as possible). so glad to here the good news! you made my night:).
Luv that pic of Lucas!! I am so glad you have found someone to talk to...that was a problem I found with Staci being congenital Hypothyroid...we had no answers to a ton of questions and nobody to talk too...it is very rare as well, many apt to primarys and University...I would ask a question, the doctor would tell me "we just don't know, time will tell" what kind of response is that for a new parent of a child you love and have so many questions about....you communicating with this young man will be a blessing...won't give you all answers because like you say, every child is different, but might give you some hope for the future....happy days!!!
That is great news! What a cute picture of the little superman!
Happy day! Glad there was some improvement and that you having a long stretch at home :)
Lukas is so amazingly adorable! I am so glad to hear about your conversation with the young man at the hospital. That is wonderfully encouraging. We never stop praying for the miracles. I know my blogger I.D says "Grandma" Kaye, but it's just me, "Aunt" Kaye. Love you guys.
that picture is so achingly sweet! I just love that little guy! It was nice bumping into you, hope you're taking time for yourself a little bit!
It's always great to know that you're not alone. I loved reading your blog. Thanks for inviting me. I plan on keeping updated!
I'm so glad you get to be home! It's nice that you finally got to talk to someone else who has what Luke has also. It's been a while since I've been able to check blogs so I don't know how long you've had that picture up top but it is such a good one of all your boys!
Post a Comment