Tuesday, March 24, 2009

ooops, medical error!

Okay, I will be nice and start out defending the on call doctor I took Lukie to on Sunday. He has never seen Luke before and is used to "typical" infants, not complex babies like our little Lukie. The shot Rocefen is very commonly given to babies with ear infections. But little did we know not for Lukie. Sunday night after the shot was given the home health care nurse took the weekly blood labs so we would have them back in time for our appointment with GI yesterday. First thing yesterday morning I got a call from his nurse. The lab called her in the night as so as they ran his test alerting her if some very abnormal blood work. Liver enzymes were a little high and Calcium was dangerously high. Too much calcium can cause too much muscle strain including the heart, it can also cause damage to the kidneys including kidney stones. The nurse called GI and we repeated our labs before our appointment.

At the appointment I told GI he had an ear infection, and they asked what antibiotic they gave him. I told them Rocefen. And I was scheduled for another dose Tuesday morning. After a few minutes of not knowing why his labs were so off they looked up Rocefen online. Rocefen can NOT be given to TPN patients. I immediately turned off his TPN. They got all of the GI docs involved and worked for almost 2 hours trying to sort things out for little Lukie. They called his ID doc and prescribe an IV antibiotic to clear his ear infection. They made major changes in his TPN and we are taking daily blood labs. It was a crazy appointment but Lukie is safe and we are all back home!

As for the ear infections, doctors aren't real thrilled about giving Luke anesthesia to place tubes in his ears because he has already had anesthesia 8 other times. So if there is another procedure he needs done, of more damage to his little ears they will place tubes then.

6 comments:

Schroeder's in a NUT SHELL! said...

You are too nice..as far as I am concerned, these doctors know that he is on TPN and should look everything up before giving him anything....whether they are used to complicated situations or not..they should be even more vigilant in making sure all their ducks are in a row before prescribing anything to him....I'm glad things worked out..poor little guy...it's just crazy, these doctors know they have the internet at their finger tips now days....they need to take a minute and use this great technology before blindly putting his little life in danger...I'm kind of irritated, sorry, this is my "profession" and I know these mistakes don't need to happen..I'm just glad Lukie is ok....on a better note, if next week is better as far as weather, is there a good day for you for me to bring Grandma Bahr out to see you guys? Just let me know....

Kaci said...

Glad to see that Lukie is OK! Holy cow, if it's not one thing it's another! I am so glad that you have had him home for so long and have been able to do some fun things like your day at the park!

Alyse said...

How scary! Thank goodness he didn't get that second dose! I'm glad everything worked out okay, you have enough to worry about already without the doctors making mistakes!

Erin said...

that's scary! and i'm glad that it was caught & corrected! like they say, doctor's practice medicine. i didn't realize that lukie has been under anethesia 8 times now! when mo had tubes put in, she also had other things fixed too. so glad that cute boy is still home with you!

Jess said...

urg, that's scary!! so so glad he's ok, poor babe! If I ever got to stay home I would come back for my favorite patient!

Alyse said...

Love the new main picture! What a beautiful mommy and adorable boys!