Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Help me keep my sanity!!!!!!!!!

Refeedings are going very slow. The doctors will not allow us to take Lucas home until they reverse his surgery in December. We have scheduled a Care Conference with the hospital team that has been caring for him. This includes nurses, GI docs, Surgeon and Social worker. They will all decide what is best for Lucas. The choices will be to stay here, see if Utah Valley is confidant in his care, or a live in home care nurse. Lucas's condition is WAY too difficult and critical for me to manage, let alone 3 other active boys. It is almost impossible for me to balance the kids in school in Orem and traveling daily to SLC. I know this will be a long term stay and I need a break! The longest we have had Lukie home is 2 weeks out of 4 1/2 months he has been alive. Some GI docs feel like they will find a good treatment for Lucas. Some of them don't think they will find a treatment for him. We will be very lucky to have Lucas home for Christmas.

As we were about to leave this evening Lucas vomited a ton. He is not getting enough through his feedings to produce that much throw up. They do not know what caused it but it is not a good sign. His ostomy bag was also empty which may mean he has an obstruction. They are watching him VERY CAREFULLY. I know everyone is busy with their own lives, and I appreciate the support we have received. A few people have offered to take a turn watching Lucas at the hospital. (even 1 or 2 hours at any time would help, especially with Mike needing to go back to work) It is out of the way for a lot of you, but if you are still willing to do it we would truly appreciate it. It is so hard to leave him alone, as well as leaving the older boys. I wish I could be in 2 places at once!!!

I (Daddy) being honest this is really taking a toll on our family, it's just so hard to balance life. Mentally, physically, emotionally, financially its very hard. We continue to have faith in the lords plan for Lucas. I start to think that maybe I should pray for what God wants from me, not what I want from him. Lucas smile is so special. So many people (nurses, doctors, friends, family) have stated to us after seeing him in person, that he has a special spirit about him. We agree.

My sister Melissa had a slumber party with Lukie last night before returning home to Pittsburgh this morning. It was an exciting night with a lot of partying and little slumbering. Thanks Melissa for your help!! We miss you!!!!!!

8 comments:

Brian and Amelia said...

Oh, if there is anything I could do. . .I wish I could go stay with him for you, but I've got my son with me 24-7. If there is anything at all I can help with, please let me know! We will definitely keep your family in our prayers.

Schroeder's in a NUT SHELL! said...

We have talked and Kristi would love to come stay with Lucas next week on Wednesday night, she has to be to work at 5am...she can stay until around 11:30pm if that's ok....I will be happy to come up tuesday night and stay as long as I can that night...hopefully that will help a tiny bit....let me talk to Kati and see if we can come stay this friday night....we have a few plans after we visit with you guys, but we can come back and stay ... I will check.....hang in there, we will help all we can and I know others will be there for you guys....we love you!!

GFMouse said...

praying for your family. I know God has the answer and it will all work out for you. I'm sorry to hear he will be spending the rest of the year in the hospital.

Alyse said...

Hang in there, Al. You are such a great mommy -- The world would be a better place if there were more sweet mothers like you. Wish I were there.

Staci said...

I can come down and stay with him next Thursday from 6PM-1 or 2AM. Trev has work at 8 that next morning, so I have to be home when Max gets up, but that should be fine. Let me know.

Janene Kingsley said...

Hi Fuller Family,

I met your little guy last week when Melissa was here visiting him. He is the sweetest little baby I have ever had the privilege to hold. My family prays for you guys every night and we sincerely hope and pray for something good to start happening. I got a little video of Lucas cooing and smiling. I'm sending it off to Melissa next week. I feel like it is a little treasure and so I'll make sure you get it.

Janene

Kaci said...

Hey Mike and Al, I would be more than happy to take a turn at the hospital with Lucas. Just let me know when would be the most helpful for you! Also, my mom said she is willing to take a turn as well (she says it is the least she could do after all the hours you guys spent with Brady when he was a baby)! Please just let us know when you need us, we want to help!!!

Shaun & April said...

Hey Fullmers, saw your blog off of your facebook account. Both my kids are in school right now, I am in Nursing school a few days a week, but would love to help in any way I can. I can go up to PCH and be with Lucas during school hours on Mondays, Wed, Thurs, or Sat, or I can keep the boys on those days or any nights as well so that you guys can go up together if needed. Just email what I can do. april-briggs@comcast.net We will also keep you in our prayers.