Okay I think I updated too early yesterday. I thought it was a good time to update because we had just talked to the surgeon and were waiting to see Luke. I guess you could say things didn't go as well as we had originally thought. We patiently waited for the receptionist to call us back to see Lukie in recovery. We were told it would only be a few minutes. Well an hour and a half later we still had not been called back. If it has been more than an hour it means your child has been sent to PICU. I talked to the receptionist asking for info of what was going on. The surgeon than came back to talk to us again. He brought us in the doctor consult room which is never a good sign. The cut he made from where he tried without success to place the broviac was bleeding pretty bad. The liver is the organ that helps clot blood, because his liver isn't that great they couldn't get the bleeding to stop. They applied pressure to stop the bleeding but when they would remove pressure he would bleed again. They placed a large bandage around his head to put pressure on the cut. If he didn't stop bleeding in 20 minutes he would have to take him back to the OR. After 40 minutes the bleeding started to slow down and we were able to see our little sweet heart. About 45 minutes later we were discharged back to UVRMC. Primary's didn't relay the info to UVRMC telling them we are headed back to be readmitted. UVRMC suddenly got very busy and admitted 13 new patients. They didn't have a room for us. We waited a hour and a half for a room. In the mean time Luke's cut kept bleeding pretty badly. They tried a few things to stop it and didn't know what to do. They did blood work to see if they could tell why he was bleeding. At 2:00am they were considering calling one of their surgeons to look at him, or possibly go back to PCMC. Luckily after 12 hours of bleeding it finally slowed down. It was a long and crazy night but by morning it had stopped.
This afternoon we were discharged to go home. Let's hope we can beat our 18 days home!
8 comments:
Oh My Gosh!!! How irresponsible was PCMC to let you go back to UVRMC first with Lukie bleeding, then not relaying the message to the hospital about his condition!!! That really makes us mad...and to think the danger they put Lukie through....we hope his stay at home is a long and happy one...no more of these irresponsible hospital stays!!!! Luv ya Lukie
Thanks so much for your diligence in keeping your blog updated so well...even when life gets so overwhelming. We love you all so much and think about your family constantly. It makes us sad to try to even comprehend how much you all have had to endure. Please know of our love and admiration for all you. Thankfully we have little heros like Lucus to remind us what life is really all about...to love with everything we've got while we can.
So glad that cute Lucas is home where it's best for him!!!
Will you give Isaac a BIG Happy Birthday!!!! luv ya little guy
Yea!!!! So happy that you guys are home. I will call you this week and see how you guys are holding up. Love you guys!!!!
Oh, allison, sounds so scary! I'm sorry you've been through so much! I'll be thinking about and praying for you! Happy Birthday Isaac!
Wow, what a long day that must have been. I'm glad it finally stopped, how scary.
Wow, poor little man! He sure has been through a lot. And I can't imagine the worry and anxiety that the two of you had. I'm glad that the bleeding FINALLY stopped, and you were able to be discharged!!
Post a Comment