The surgeon started out by removing adhesions from his infection that caused the surgery 2 months ago. Second she closed his jejunostomy. Third she placed a Gastrostomy (G tube), which is a tube placed in the stomach that ventilates the air, since he does not pass gas on his own. Forth she did a Bishop-koop ileostomy. This is an daring way to perform an ostomy, but she feels optimistic about it. The way the ostomy is set up so the small intestines are still connected to the large intestines. So food will still travel through the large intestine to keep it healthy. This will also tell us if his large intestines function well or not. He may have bowel movements through his ostomy or rectum, where ever the least resistance is. We will also have to perform enemas to prevent bowel infections.
In surgery his bowels seemed to look okay. I asked if the bowels had good motility, she said they seemed to squeeze hard, almost too hard. She doesn't know for sure, but if so that could be causing the psuedo obstruction. We don't know if surgery has solved any of Lucas's problems. Surgeon said time will tell. But she seems to be optimistic. We do not know how long he will has the ileostomy, maybe a year or two, maybe forever. But if it helps him I'll do what ever I can!
Lucas is in ICU and may be transferred out as soon as tomorrow. The expected stay will probably be a couple of weeks, which is shorter than I expected! I don't want to give up my hope so I am planning on 3 weeks just to be safe.
I know Lucas has done well because of the prayers that have been said on his behalf. There are so many people caring for us. There has been anonymous acts of kindness for our family. They have blessed us when we have needed it most. There are so many great examples around our family.
7 comments:
So glad to hear that everything went well. I've thought about you guys all day long. I hope you are getting the rest that you need, and we continue prayers for your family. Thank you for the updates! Your strength continues to amaze me.
i've been checking on you guys all day!!! so glad to hear that things went well! seriously, he looks great for right after surgery! let's keep praying that they've done what's best for him & it works the way it should!!! prayers & love to you!
OH...it's good to hear optimism in your post, that little Lucas is doing good...he really looks good and his coloring is really good. We will be up to see you guys soon. We just found out that the estimated day of arrival for Grandma has been changed from next Wed to next Monday...you will continue to be in our prayers!!! luv ya
glad to hear the surgery went well. I know how you feel about the daily enemas, they are no fun but oh so necessary for our kids.
He is such a precious little boy! I'm so sorry to hear about your accident but glad to hear the surgery went well. We'll keep little Lucas and the rest of you in our prayers. We made our blog private but wanted to invite you to view it. If you want email me your email to pouland80@hotmail.com.
We're SO glad the surgery went well. We'll keep you in our prayers and hope that he will continue to improve and come home soon! Take care.
Yea!!! I am so happy everything went well. I hope you guys are hanging in there. I will talk with you soon.
Post a Comment