Monday, November 10, 2008

The Fullmer's horrible terrible no good very bad day

The day started out like any other. Get the kids off to school and then head up to Primary Children's to get Lucas ready for surgery. Isaac is terrified of dogs. He has had a tough time encountering dogs on his way to school, so he asked us to take him instead of riding the bus. Our plan was to drop off Isaac and get on to freeway to head to Salt Lake. Mike, Lucas, Isaac and I hoped in the van ready to go. About a mile from our house we went through a green light heading to Isaac's school. Across the street I saw a white van not slowing for the red light on their side. As I turned to look at Mike the van hit us, spinning us around and hitting another car in the left turning lane.

Luckily no one was hurt physically. The impact was so hard Lucas was hanging upside down from his car seat, our suitcase packed for the hospital flew out the window and through 3 lanes of traffic. REMEMBER ALWAYS BUCKLE UP YOUR KIDS. I was so upset I couldn't ever tell the dispatcher what my birthday was. I seem to have a little memory loss. The van was totaled. Lucas, Isaac and I spent time in the Ambulance getting vitals checked out waiting for a ride to Primary Children's. Mike parents came to pick us up and drop Isaac off to school. His teacher called me and said he had had an accident and having a hard time. My mom later picked him up and took him to his Pediatrician to get checked out. I have not heard how he is doing yet. Poor Isaac little has already struggled with our family situation anyway. I can't imagine what he is going through now.

We had been dreading this day for a month how could we have made it any worse? I guess we were asking for it, this were going too smooth for too long I guess. When it rains it pours. The trauma team at Primary Children's did a head to toe assessment of Lucas to make sure he will be safe for surgery tomorrow. Everything looks great. We arrived at Primary's expecting an endoscope. No one knew of this plan and Lucas ended up getting yet another barium enema GI test. The Doctor performing the test said there is differently something unusually wrong with his ileum, but it is too hard to pin point exactly where, which may make it hard for the surgeon. The plan for tomorrow is to take down his ostomy he now has, and do another ostomy in his ileum making an iliostomy. They are cleaning out his bowels by giving him mineral oil every two hour and enemas every for hours. He can only drink Pedialyte through the night and stop feedings completely at midnight. This will be a long night!!!!!

The nurses recommend Mike and I to go to the ER at Primary Children's to get evaluated. We are both a little stiff and sore which they said will be worse in the morning. They gave us pain pills and said to bug the nurses for hot and cold packs. They don't get many 30 year olds in the ER at a children's Hospital!

I am so thankful no one was hurt, someone was watching over us! But seriously I don't know how much more a can take. I thought I was already at my limit. I feel like I could break down at any minute (Mike stated he just wants to cry and cry). Where are we finding joy in this journey?

P.S. Looking for a newer model Honda or Toyota Van, if you know of a good deal let us know.

Update: Lucas Surgery tomorrow morning @ 7:30am.





10 comments:

Alyse said...

Oh my goodness, Allison. That is the last thing you needed to happen today! I am so sorry to hear about the accident. We will be praying for Lucas and his surgery and your whole cute little family. I know I have said this before, but keep hanging in there. As Grandma Tucker always says, "And it came to pass, not to stay."

We love you.

Jenni S said...

Oh Allison, I'm so sorry about your day. You will all be in my prayers. I'm so glad none of you were hurt. I hope all goes well with the surgery and you're able to figure out what can better help your little guy.

Erin said...

geez....you are so right. when it rains it pours. & when your in the middle of your trials, they feel like they will never end. ...but they will. so sorry your family has such a rough go right now. our prayers will be with you guys, especially tomorrow. we love you. hang in there. it will pass.

Marsha said...

Allison!! I don't know what more to say than I am soo sorry you have to go through so many trials right now. Just hang in there and know yes, when it rains, it pours, but that means also for when the blessing start coming in also. It will be soon Allison, I know you can make it through this. You are amazing!!!!!!

Schroeder's in a NUT SHELL! said...

I am so glad everyone is ok...I am really worried about Isaac...I hope he does ok...can I just tell you how tired I am of people running almost red or red lights!!! I thought that just happened up here is Salt Lake area, but it sounds like everywhere...people are so impatient...everybody needs to slow down!!! Just glad you're all ok though...keep us posted about tomorrow...luv you guys...praying for you

Brian and Amelia said...

My goodness, I am sorry. I can't believe that that had to happen to you, yesterday. But I am SO glad you are all okay. . .well, as ok as possible. My heart goes out to little Isaac, and my thoughts and prayers are with you always, but especially today. Please let me know what I can do, and keep us updated!

wood said...

HOLY CRAP what else! Sheesh...make sure you add me to your private account ashleywork@gmail.com Love you guys!

Janene Kingsley said...

Oh my gosh. You guys are so fortunate. It could have been way worse! Only the Lord knows his plans.

Tanis said...

Mike and Allison, Wow! Thank goodness no one was hurt in your accident. We are thinking of you and Lucas. We would love to be added to your blog when you go private. (tanismosher@gmail.com)
Tim

GFMouse said...

I am so glad you are ok.